10 August 2014

Only one conclusion to be drawn: Arsenal are the favorites to win the Prem.

Well, that was a nice way to gear up for the Prem season, thumping Man City 3-0 to win the Community Shield. I must say, I'm personally relieved after the kerfuffle my post the other day, which rankled more than a few readers. The stick I might have taken had we lost...I don't want to think about it.

Of course, neither side was at full strength, and City looked a bit diffident for stretches, so we shouldn't read too far into the result on either side. Still, goals from Ramsey, Cazorla, and Giroud highlighted a strong showing that, had it happened six days hence, might have made us the odds-on favorites to win the Prem. That would exaggerate things a bit, though. Yes, we were without our Germans, but they were without quite a few of their best and brightest. I'll tell you what it does mean, though—we've won the last two matches with silverware at stake, and today's result guarantees we can't finish the season empty-handed. Yes, it's "just" the Community Shield, but we won it, not Man City. May it mark the beginning of a brilliant season! Highlights in the video below...